Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Religion

I can't remember, but I believe I've said this before. The Republican Party is now a religion. My first example, again by my man, Steve Benen, comes courtesy of everyone's favorite Conservo blowhard.

I'm not going to completely reiterate the posts, but basically here is a recap. Rush Limbaugh started a meme and it has been picked up a bit by other Converobots. The theory goes like this: Democrats wrecked the economy for political gains. 

Of course, it all makes sense. The Democrats drive the economy down, blame it on the Republicans, the People buy it despite the clear innocence of Republicans and, Score! Huge, talkin' HUGE Election gains and the mother-fucking-Presidency! 

Whoo! Those Clever Democrats. I mean, despite the fact that about everyone with any non-ideological stake in this is sort of blaming rampant deregulation and blind faith in the free-economy for the disaster. Of course, both those things are major tenants of Democratic philosophy. Oh wait, that's not right.

Now, conservatives and liberals are going to have legitimate philosophical differences and there are always going to be people who defend their side no matter what. But lately, it seems to me, we have had a legitimate Test and consequently compete FAILURE of Conservative politics. Now, rather than reorganizing, and perhaps engaging in soul-searching retrospection, Rush and his Ilk find it much easier to continue to blame the other side rather than ask tough questions about the legitimacy of their own beliefs. 

It's probably not the legitimate definition, but in my mind, continued blind adherence to disproved (or unprovable) beliefs smacks seriously of religion.

Anyway....


No comments: