Friday, December 5, 2008

Turkeygate

Ok, I was going to try to get this post out before Thanksgiving, but I didn't make it. Anyway, I'm sure you've seen it, but in case you haven't, check out this video.

Basically, Palin, everyone's favorite V.P. candidate, pardons a turkey and then conducts the post-pardon interview in front of a GODDAMN TURKEY KILLING MACHINE!  Now, I personally don't care about the turkeys. People eat turkeys and obviously they are generally killed first. 

But a couple points. First, the choice of locale has NO effect on Palin. Part of this, I'm sure, is that a woman who thinks it's fine to gun down wolves from Airplanes is not going to flinch at a few turkeys buying it behind her. 

But, second, and more importantly, it demonstrates a Complete inability to understand Irony. I think Palin would understand the concept if you explain it to her. Or, if you pointed an example out to her, she would maybe do her little fake laugh and say, "oh, I see, you're kidding." But she wouldn't find if funny. And the deadlier aspects of Irony are clearly lost on this woman. 

One of the common themes I see in current Republican behavior is that they behave more like a religion than a political party. I will hit this as long as I do this blog (about another week, i figure), but I this is also behavior I think that is a common trait among religious Fundamentalists.  I don't want to say Religious Fundamentalism breeds and insensitivity to irony, more like the other way around. People without a sense of irony are DRAWN to Religious Fundamentalism. 

Standing in front of a Turkey Execution immediately AFTER pardoning a fucking Turkey does not faze Palin because she is incapable of recognizing the absurdity of the situation. This inability does tend to affect a lot of Republican rhetoric. This is the mindset that lets them label a black man, raised by a single mother, who truly had to crawl up from the bottom,  and could only go to a good school on a scholarship he earned, an Elitist. This is why they can say, "government get out of the way" while they are running to become part of the FUCKING GOVERNMENT. I must ask, how can you function normally in modern society without being able to understand Irony? Again, the answer is, clearly, you can't.

Anyway...

No comments: